Continued from Tony Perez's Electronic Diary (October 19, 2018 - March 12, 2019) http://tonyperezphilippinescyberspacebook41.blogspot.com/

Photo by JR Dalisay / April 21, 2017

Wednesday, May 26, 2021

There are two unforgettable workshops I conducted on "Creativity and Conflict Resolution" for the Embassy before I retired, and neither one of them had adults as participants. The first was for the residents of a rehabilitation home for sexually abused girls. The second was for a rehabilitation home for boys in conflict with the law. Both were miles away from each other in Bacolod, and miles away from the city. When I conducted them I had no contact with my Bacolod City friends from Negros Museum and Gallery Orange, and I never felt so alone in my life.

During the latter workshop one of the participants, a five-year-old boy, kept following me around and assisting me with my exercises. He went through a series of adoptive homes, all of which were unsuccessful in providing him a normal life. I thought of going through the formal process of taking him in and raising him in Cubao, but I judiciously reminded myself that I already had two sons and three grandchildren. (I have five grandchildren now.) It was a heart-wrenching moment, though, because I knew that I could raise the boy properly.

Alas, we must, many times in our life, be the protagonist in Shane and The Blue Knight.

I sincerely wish that the boy--and all of the participants in both workshops--is leading a good life now.

No comments:

Post a Comment