Continued from Tony Perez's Electronic Diary (October 19, 2018 - March 12, 2019) http://tonyperezphilippinescyberspacebook41.blogspot.com/

Photo by JR Dalisay / April 21, 2017

Sunday, October 24, 2021

The compound dust bin is right across our security guard's platform. I really don't mind for two reasons. First, of the 102 different pathways of Eleggua, there is one called Okada, who lives in dust bins, interacts with scavengers, and delivers blessings. Second, I get to see not only the compound tenants and the things they throw away but also the different rag[pickers who come and retrieve items they feel they can sell or use. I am a familiar sight to the latter. If we were in ancient China they would surely elect me as their King of the Beggars' Guild.

This afternoon one of the rag pickers stepped up to the small loggia, where I was resting after a day of painting. I heard him say that old line, "Bos, me ipapakita 'ko sa inyo." He took out a pouch from his pocket and showed me an EXQUISITE ladies' watch and asked, "'Di po ba, sinauna 'to?"

I advised him to have the item appraised at a pawnshop. I know that he expected me to buy it from him, but I felt that it was snatched or stolen from someone. Besides, if I did buy it, he would come back to me with yet more snatched or stolen items.

Maferefun, Eleggua! Maferefun, Okada! I will never run out of dustbin stories to tell!

No comments:

Post a Comment