Continued from Tony Perez's Electronic Diary (October 19, 2018 - March 12, 2019) http://tonyperezphilippinescyberspacebook41.blogspot.com/

Photo by JR Dalisay / April 21, 2017

Friday, July 23, 2021

A heavy breakfast, as in The Color Purple.

It continued to rain all of last night and early this morning.The sky is gray, the sun nowhere to be seen. I am reminded of being hustled to my first, rainy day in school. Breakfast was rushed. I was swaddled in a jacket that was not of my choice and that some well-meaning adult must have bought for me. People were bobbing round under umbrellas. The driveway was slick, there were tiny streams and rivulets snaking their way on the ground to where I was standing, and they formed puddles around my shoes. The schoolbus windows were stippled with droplets. Everyone inside the bus looked different because they, too, were in jackets. I detested that day, for I would rather have stayed home. Though I was wearing a jacket my legs and feet were cold. Despite the playful rowdiness of my classmates there was no sunshine inside the classroom, and I kept wishing that the rain would stop and that the wet days would come to an end.

Like now.

No comments:

Post a Comment